sathtastic

Bookake

All the books. In my face.

The Blinding Knife
Geoffrey Durham
Shadow Unit 2
Emma Bull, Elizabeth Bear, Amanda Downum, Sarah Monette, Kyle Cassidy

The Stars My Destination

The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester Gully Foyle is an uneducated, unmotivated thug, just barely surviving, alone in a small airtight locker on a wrecked ship in deep space. When a ship passes by after several months, Gully emits a distress flare, the ship stops long enough to notice Gully.. and then continues on... After that moment Gully has a purpose, a single driving angry purpose to not just survive, but get free and get revenge upon the ship that passed him by.

The book is set in a future where humans have populated the solar system, where corporations are the ruling powers, and where the population travels mostly (on planet surface) by self teleportation. But in space teleportation is impossible, and so humanity still relys on spaceships for travel. Telepathy is extremely rare, but is also a possibility.

Gully's drive for revenge ultimately changes Gully throughout the long course of the book, it is the one thing that could have made him better himself. But it never turns him into a likeable character. I think this would be the main reason I didn't care so much for the book. It's hard to get absorbed in a book where you don't care for or can't relate to the main character, as such I'm not sure why this book has been highly rated, maybe I'm alone in my tastes! But Gully isn't just uneducated and unintelligent, he just doesn't have any real desires apart from his vengeance, and it makes for a very weak character. I can't even agree with his taste in women.

I can say it was a mildly interesting setting, and some of the side characters were fairly nice and quirky, especially the one guy thats so radioactive he can't be among other people for more than half an hour, and makes everyones technology break.

Probably won't be up for another by this author, not my cup of tea.