sathtastic

Bookake

All the books. In my face.

The Blinding Knife
Being a Quaker
Geoffrey Durham
Shadow Unit 2
Emma Bull, Elizabeth Bear, Amanda Downum, Sarah Monette, Kyle Cassidy

The Bane of the Black Sword (Elric Saga, Book 5)

The Bane of the Black Sword - Michael Moorcock The 5th and penultimate in the Elric series, like the previous books it's divided into 3 short stories.
In the first The stealer of souls, Elric has another run in with the sorceror Theleba K'aarna, who is still insanely mad at Elric for 'making' Yishana fall in love with him. But of course it's not Elric's fault, he's just naturally good with the ladies, and he doesn't even want Yishana.
Then Kings in Darkness, where Elric finds and falls in love with Zarozinia. It must be love this time, as Elric decides to give up his sword Stormbringer, and go back to supporting his life with drugs instead of the stolen life-force that his sword shares with him.
In The flame bringers, Elrics companion Moonglum warns Elric of a Warband who are laying waste to various cities and on their way to the city where Elric lives with Zarozinia. The warband have a captured their own sorceror, by subduing the cat in which he attempted to hide his soul..
Then we have an Epilogue To Rescue Tanelorn, which is a short story, not about Elric, but about one of his previous companions Rackhir the Red Archer, who lives now in the eternal city of Tanelorn. Tanelorn is about to come under attack by forces of Chaos, and so Rackhir goes in search of the Grey Lords, who server neither Law nor Chaos, but may be willing to aid Tanelorn.

These Elric novels are always so hard to review, because so much happens in such a short space of time. To me, Moorcocks style of writing, is like the opposite of a politicians.. where a politician will try to say as little as possible in as many words as possible, Moorcock has a very good go at writing as much as possible in as few words as possible. And yet his writing is still so creative and descriptive. It's hard to see how he manages to cram so much in without messing up the story, but he does. At the end of this book I was quite knackered really!

See my other reviews of the Elric series:
#4 The Vanishing Tower | #6 (Review coming soon!) →