sathtastic

Bookake

All the books. In my face.

The Blinding Knife
Geoffrey Durham
Shadow Unit 2
Emma Bull, Elizabeth Bear, Amanda Downum, Sarah Monette, Kyle Cassidy

Promises (Coda Series)

Promises - Marie Sexton Jared has lived his whole life in the same small town in colorado, when he earned his teaching degree in physics, he came back home just to work in the hardware store that his parents left to him, his brother, and his sister in law. He's one of only two gay guys in town, and the other is one of his old teachers from highschool. Not great prospects for Jared, but he's convinced himself it's all ok.

Then Matt moves to town, and stops by the hardware shop when he sees a car for sale. Matt is a police officer, straight (so he says), and a confirmed batchelor. He's also just as lonely as Jared and doesn't know it either. The two strike up a friendship based on their mutual love of the outdoors and american football.

It's difficult for Matt, to be seen around town with a gay man, and he soon has to get himself a girlfriend just to keep up appearances. It's much harder for Jared, as he finds himself attracted to Matt, and wanting more than their close friendship. But could Matt accept that, or will Jared have to be content with the friendship they have.

This was a definate 5 star story for me. There were several things about it that just really made it brilliant.. There wasn't an insta-romance in sight, the whole story took place over a year or so, which gave it plenty of time to build an develop at a natural pace. I do love a slow build to romance.

The characters were extremely engaging, and their emotions really came to life well. I really felt the lonliness that both of them were trying to hide from everyone, I was rooting for them to make it together every step of the way. The sex was also really well done, although I do admit that writers of m/m shouldn't always fall into the trap of Its Gay So There Must Be Anal Sex, but nevermind it was good anyway, I shouldn' complain.

I suspect that my rating could have been somewhat affected by my apparent love of 'straight acting' gay cops.. Apart from this book I was also madly in love with Tere Michaels' Faith & Fidelity, and Josh Lanyon's Fatal Shadows (and their respective series). Yep I've fallen for a stereotype, but its a well written, sexy stereotype..

See my other reviews of the Coda Books series: