sathtastic

Bookake

All the books. In my face.

The Blinding Knife
Being a Quaker
Geoffrey Durham
Shadow Unit 2
Emma Bull, Elizabeth Bear, Amanda Downum, Sarah Monette, Kyle Cassidy

Critic's Choice (Petit Morts)

Critic's Choice - Josh Lanyon Yet another winner by Josh Lanyon for the Petit Morts series.

Crispin is a horror film historian, and his ex, Rey, is a well-known film director. They're separated on amicable terms, but Crispin struggles with being around Rey. And now they're to work together on an audio commentary for a classic horror movie, to take place at the home of retired movie star Angelo Faust; in his creepy mansion in the middle of nowhere. A perfect setting for some bizarre and creepy PetitMort-style happenings.

I think this may be my favourite in the Petit Morts series so far. Earlier books in the series, hint at a touch of magic, and in later ones it more than hints. But this one really pushes the boat out and sails it off into creepy horror movie lake. Whereas previous representations of Chance have seemed quirky and cute, Chance really seems a little sinister her, although don't expect any revelations. I still need to know who or what the hell is Chance?! haha.

There is also a brilliant touch of humour here, particularly from the awesome side character of Neat, Faust's Butler.

Creepy horror movie style, not too cheesy, a nice romance and a splattering of good humour. Love it. :D

See my other reviews of the Petit Morts series: