sathtastic

Bookake

All the books. In my face.

The Blinding Knife
Being a Quaker
Geoffrey Durham
Shadow Unit 2
Emma Bull, Elizabeth Bear, Amanda Downum, Sarah Monette, Kyle Cassidy

Slings and Arrows (Petit Morts #2)

Slings and Arrows - Josh Lanyon At first I thought this series contained unconnected stories, turns out there is actually a strange connection.. The chocolate shop feautered in the first book, is involved in this one also..

Carey is a college student (studying anthropology, and on the swim team), who gets a valentines gift of some very expensive chocolates. When he opens the chocolates in front of his friends they tell him the campus scare story about a serial killer that killed girls on campus after sending them anonymous valentines. This certainly doesn't help his nerves at all. Plus he's trying to deal with his crush on the anthropology teaching assistant; Walter.

Walter is a very socially awkward character, and comes across as very aloof and austere. So Carey has no idea if Walter even really likes him, let alone if he could act on his crush.

I thought this was a particularly creepy story. I found it hard to understand Carey's attraction to Walter, I get that the source of his cold attitude was just that he was socially awkward.. but I still couldn't find it in myself to soften towards him, he was just too creepy and mechanical.

Josh Lanyon talks in his little writers blurb about the college experience; "I wanted to capture that sense of an insular but temporary world, and how it feels when you begin to make choices that separate you from your friends". I think on that point he did succeed, the setting and characterisation was very good on that aspect, but then I guess he did too well, because remembering my time at college (uni in uk).. just depressed the hell out of me! So I can't fault his writing, he's a great writer, but it just didn't agree with me.

See my other reviews of the Petit Morts series: