sathtastic

Bookake

All the books. In my face.

The Blinding Knife
Geoffrey Durham
Shadow Unit 2
Emma Bull, Elizabeth Bear, Amanda Downum, Sarah Monette, Kyle Cassidy

The White Rajah

The White Rajah - Tom   Williams Firstreads hates me.

I won my copy of The White Rajah on a Goodreads Firstreads giveaway. Alas, I've had problems recently with books from firstreads not actually being delivered, and no idea why that is. I wasn't one to pester or nag, but when I got around to inquiring, the author was so kind enough to give me an ebook copy as a replacement. But it has been a ridiculously long time between winning the book and actually reviewing, which is a shame.

This novel is the fictional memoirs of John Williamson, a shipman whose path crosses with James Brooke when he enlists as crew for his first exploratory trade mission to the South China Seas. Brooke is asked by the Sultan of Borneo to help supress a rebellion in his empire, and Brooke hopes to foster trade relations by doing so. As a reward for their victory Brooke is given ruleship of the kingdom of Sarawak, hence becoming the first White Rajah. Williamson soon becomes indespensible to Brooke, being helpful in fostering good relations with the locals, aswell as his seamanship skills. The two gradually foster a close friendship and eventually become lovers. But being Rajah is obviously not as simple as living luxuriously in a palace, and Brooke soon finds that amongst problems such as piracy, political problems and racial prejudice, he'll soon find it hard enough to hang on to his kingdom at all.

It must be noted that whilst James Brooke is a real historical figure, and the main historical facts can all be verified. John Williamson is only debatably a real person, and the relationship between the two seems to be mostly conjecture. Of course, it's historical fiction, that's entirely the point, but it's nice to be have a knowledge of which parts are from the history books and which parts are the author's imagination.

Williamson was an interesting character for a point of view. Being neither born of nobility or educated, he was an outsider to Brooke and his rank of friends. But his close relationship with Brooke elevated him to a level where he could observe and provide a unique view on everything that went on, whilst remaining almost a detached observer. In a way tho, this was also one of the novels main failings. As whilst Williamson gives a good point of view, he also remains too detatched. In scenes where there was battle action Williamson fails to get involved and the action remains just a series of facts and figures that could have been gleaned from a history book. There was no real emotional involvement.

I feel that neither Williamson or Brooke were really fully developed as characters. I never felt like I knew them except as details of where they went and what they did. I never felt an atatchment to them, or a connection to their feelings and emotions.

In conclusion, The White Rajah makes for an interesting read, but was overal a bit dry, and would do a lot better with more depth to the characters. A bit more emotion could really have bumped it up a star or two.