sathtastic

Bookake

All the books. In my face.

The Blinding Knife
Being a Quaker
Geoffrey Durham
Shadow Unit 2
Emma Bull, Elizabeth Bear, Amanda Downum, Sarah Monette, Kyle Cassidy

Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, Book 1)

Bitten - Kelley Armstrong Elena Michaels is the only female werewolf in existence. By choice she lives apart from her pack, making a semblance of normal human life for herself in Toronto, with her human partner philip. By day she works as a journalist, and at night she goes on secret runs in her wolf form. It's fairly clear to the reader that this isn't going too well, but that she's determined to keep trying to hang on to her 'normal' human life.

And then comes a phonecall from her old pack leader Jeremy; the pack are having some trouble with human bodies found killed by wild dogs, and they really need her back to help investigate. Which brings her right back face to face with everything she was trying to escape, including the very werewolf that bit her and turned her to begin with.

So.. A lot of this book sounded so incredibly familiar to me whilst reading it, and I'm not definately sure why. Either I did read it before, and I've forgotten that, but although I don't think it's good enough to be memorable.. I rarely forget a book, good or bad. Or.. it's because its very similar in many ways to Rachel Vincent's Stray, but surely one writer or other (not sure which came first), would be in trouble for copying the other, if whole chunks were THAT similar they were almost direct copies, which is how it felt to me whilst reading it. It's given me a bit of a headache trying to figure this out!

Maybe this is one of those books that I came to too late. After having read a LOT of paranormal and urban fantasy, I've become a bit more picky about the genre, and no book wins points any more merely for being about werewolves. I'm thinking perhaps that this was written earlier than a lot of the other UF I've read, and would have been new and interesting then, but from my perspective it's merely same old been done before stuff, and I didn't really enjoy it much. Nothing too much in particular bad about it, but nothing great either. It really did remind me so much of "Stray", except with wolves instead of cats, and not as well written.

The one thing that did bother me most was probably the idiocy of some of the characters. Clay the werewolf was supposed to be some kind of genius, but I never saw evidence of this (another example of the 'show me don't tell me' problem in novels), and I just have zero respect for a person that would throw a book in the trash after reading it, I don't care if you're a big manly werewolf or not, you don't trash good books.

The idiocy was mostly explained away each time by Elena telling us this is how the pack does things. It's pack nature to stand back and let her fight a guy on her own in a dark alley way. It's pack nature not to question the leader. etc etc. And each time, disaster strikes. Well if it's pack nature to do dumb things, no wonder you're practically excinct!

Wasn't keen on the whole novel, didn't hate it, just nothing particularly inspiring, and I wouldn't recommend it, or read the next one. Doesn't mean other people can't like it, I just don't. And I really do have a lot of other books and series to be spending my time on! :)